Humanities Lead Teacher
The Atlanta Charter Middle School (ACMS) is seeking a full-time Humanities Lead Teacher for the 2009-2010 school year.
Roles and responsibilities:
The position of Humanities Lead Teacher will focus on teaching and learning within the humanities (social studies and language arts) and encompass the following primary roles and responsibilities:
- Teaching half-time in the humanities
- Working with the school’s principal to develop a vision for the academic program within the humanities that is consistent with the school’s overall mission and philosophy and that meets the varied learning needs of students
- Planning and facilitating content area meetings with teachers and associate teachers to carry out the vision of the content area
- Directing the support and evaluation of teachers and associate teachers within the content area
- Serving as the initial point person for questions related to the content area or teachers and associate teachers within the content area
- Managing the budget for the content area
- Participating on the school’s leadership team
Successful candidates should possess a willingness to collaborate with other teachers, a desire to develop interdisciplinary learning experiences that emphasize depth of thinking rather than breadth of coverage and that ask students to demonstrate mastery on the performance of meaningful tasks, an understanding of the developmental needs of middle school students, and familiarity with the principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools. Flexibility, a caring approach with students and a sense of humor are a must!
Specific qualifications that are preferred include:
- Georgia teacher certification in content area and at least four years of teaching experience
- Master’s degree or higher
- Experience working in a position of leadership in an educational setting
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
ACMS is a small charter school located in southeast Atlanta serving grade six through eight. The school is a member of the Coalition of Essential Schools. For more information about the school, visit our website at atlantachartermiddle.com.
Interested candidates for the position of Humanities Lead Teacher should send a cover letter and resume to Matt Underwood, Principal, at [email protected] or fax to 678-904-0052.