Dean of Students
The Atlanta Charter Middle School (ACMS) is seeking a full-time Dean of Students for the 2009-2010 school year.
Roles and responsibilities:
The position of Dean of Students will focus on supporting the academic and social-emotional needs of students and encompass the following primary roles and responsibilities:
- Working with the school’s principal to develop a vision for the educational experience for students that is consistent with the school’s overall mission and philosophy and that meets the varied needs of students
- Overseeing the school’s advisory program and supporting teachers in their role as advisors
- Coordinating of the school’s discipline policy and other student welfare policies and practices
- Facilitating the school’s student services team (counseling, student support, special education)
- Assisting students and families with the high school transition process
- Advising the school’s student government
- Developing and facilitating professional development experiences for school staff
- Managing important administrative tasks: scheduling, duties, organization of conferences
- Participating on the school’s leadership team
Successful candidates should possess a willingness to collaborate with other teachers, a desire to develop interdisciplinary learning experiences that emphasize depth of thinking rather than breadth of coverage and that ask students to demonstrate mastery on the performance of meaningful tasks, an understanding of the developmental needs of middle school students, and familiarity with the principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools. Flexibility, a caring approach with students and a sense of humor are a must!
Specific qualifications that are preferred include:
- Georgia teacher certification and at least four years of teaching experience
- Master’s degree or higher
- Experience working in a position of leadership in an educational setting
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
ACMS is a small charter school located in southeast Atlanta serving grades six through eight. The school is a member of the Coalition of Essential Schools. For more information about the school, visit our website at atlantachartermiddle.com.
Interested candidates for the position of Dean of Students should send a cover letter and resume to Matt Underwood, Principal, at [email protected] or fax to 678-904-0052.